05 April 2006

One Week Left

As per request, here's the next Countdown To Passover post.

Tonight I made yet another batch of chicken broth. Usually I use kosher chicken bones from Fairway, but this time they were almost totally sold out, so I could only buy one package and had to substitute drumsticks for the second package. I'm getting increasingly concerned about both the quantity and quality of Fairway's kosher meat selection, since I need to buy a big turkey for next week and don't have enough room in my fridge to buy it early--I really hope they don't run out. Also, last time I was in Fairway, on Monday, a bunch of chicken packages were ripped open, which is gross, and the kosher area smelled overwhelmingly of bleach, like they're trying to cover something up.

I also happened to notice this article in the New York Times, which relates to what I wrote yesterday. Apparently I'm not crazy--Rabbis really are lifting restrictions on what we can eat. I never did understand why we can't eat things like corn and rice, I mean it's not like I have a mill and I'm going to grind them into meal or something. Since I'm a total dork, I printed the article and plan to pass it around the table at the seder the second night, to elicit "controversial" opinions from various family and quasi-family members (and maybe start some friendly or even not-so-friendly interfamily fights!). It's not exactly an interpretation of the Hagadah or anything, but it's right up my alley, and since it's MY seder, I can decide what we talk about. And also what we eat.

Which brings me to the next issue. My grandmother always serves a jello mold at every holiday meal held at her apartment or my parent's house--either a lemon/lime mold made with cool whip, which we call--get ready--green mold, or a cherry/raspberry mold with bing cherries and pineapples suspended in it, which we call red mold (much less disgusting sounding, but much, much more disgusting looking). As much as I am the domestic housewife type, I think jello mold is just a little too retro for me. But I know if I don't serve it, my entire family's going to be asking "where's the mold?" and "why didn't you make a mold?," especially my grandmother, in her best guilt-tripping Jewish grandmother voice. So I'm going to make it. I just can't decide which one. I might be able to shock Javert's family with the green mold, but it is sort of an acquired taste...plus the red mold goes well with turkey, since its sort of similar to cranberry sauce (although much sweeter). On the other hand, I made the red mold last year, so maybe it's time for a change. I'll definitely keep you informed about this very important decision.

In totally unrelated news, my upstairs neighbor was having VERY loud sex as I was writing this post. What an excellent soundtrack for Pesach ramblings!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

why don't i remember the mold from last year?
also, if you make the red one, you're a pussy. go for the green.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Emil said...

That settles it. I will. Green all the way, baby!

And maybe you don't remember because YOU'RE the pussy...

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home