01 March 2006

Emil 1, Boxed Rice, 0.

I am happy to say that I have regained my ability to stand up to the lure of processed foods.

Yesterday at work I decided I wanted chicken for dinner, probably due to Phil's suggestion that a protein deficiency may explain my unrelenting afternoon tiredness. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've wanted protein-rich food ever since. So Javert and I decided we'd have skinless, boneless chicken breasts coated in breadcrumbs and baked in an apricot sauce. I got the recipe from my grandmother, and its one I've been making for a long time. I've changed it a little, but to me its a homey meal that's supposed to taste a certain way, regardless of how unhealthy or unnatural it is. Kinda like how when I make my mom's teriyaki chicken recipe, I have to use Uncle Ben's rice, even though its crap.

Anyway, my mom made the apricot chicken dish all the time and usually served it with Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice, until she discovered Near East brand, which she currently uses. I love this stuff. It's something in the spice sack--I was pretty sure it contained powdered crack in addition to the other flavorings. In an attempt to find out what's actually in there, I looked up the rice on the Near East website and discovered that it's not crack, but approximately 33% of your daily allotment of sodium that makes this rice so delicious. (and thats if you eat only one serving, which is humanly impossible as far as I'm concerned.)

But...I love it and I was making a homey meal. In the past, I've made my own version of wild rice, but it never quite measured up (probably since I don't put 800 mg of sodium into each serving). So using the conveniences of Google Chat I asked Javert, who in the past has scoffed at my rice's ability to stand in for the boxed kind, which rice to choose. He said it was my choice. Foolish move, Javert.

Predictably, I said "I feel bad, with easy mac and rice in one week."
Javert: "I won't tell anyone."
Me: "I'll still know. But if you want it, it's okay, I can blame you."
Javert: "Ok, I can live with that. Since I'm the one that wanted easymac. Cough." (
his fatal remark)
Me: So you want the boxed rice?
Javert: If you say I do, then yes.
Me: What are you saying?
Javert: You are supposed to choose. If you don't want to admit that you want it, and want to say I do, that's fine.
Me: Well I'm not going to choose the boxed kind unless you want it. I stick to my principles damnit, unless it involves easymac.

And I made the wild rice from scratch, and for the first time, it was delicious.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I don't think high sodium levels are really anything to worry about unless you're also eating a lot of fat/cholesterol, etc., or if you have some kind of pre-exisiting heart condition.

Not that I really know for sure.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Emil said...

I'm at risk for heart disease (and diabetes, although I don't know if sodium matters for that) so I like to keep things in check. Plus, I LOVE salty foods and eat too much of them already. To the extent that Javert says we should install a salt lick in our apartment.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home