21 March 2006

Gateway to the West

I spent this weekend in St. Louis, visiting my best friend from elementary and high school and her husband. They moved to St. Louis a year and a half ago, bought a house in the suburbs and got a dog and are, as my friend fully admits, "settled." I feel like I spent the weekend with my parents, which is fine since I like my parents, but also kind of weird and disturbing.

Anyway, the highlights of the trip (besides seeing my friend) were a visit to Penzey's, where I bought all kinds of spices including a horseradish dip mix that I cannot wait to try, and a trip to Teavana, a tea store where I bought a fruity tea and a chocolate tea, which I also can't wait to try. The restaurant food in St. Louis wasn't up to par in my opinion, but we all know that I'm snobby when it comes to food so perhaps I'm being too harsh. I did, however, have a fabulous chocolate martini that ranked much better than the one I'd had at home.

The St. Louis arch was much much bigger and cooler than I'd imagined, although the Lewis and Clark museum bored me. I also saw the Mississippi for the first time, but declined to touch it for fear of contracting a disease. It seemed quite muddy.

Everyone there was so friendly--it almost scared me how nice people were to me. Every single person I encountered smiled and made conversation, and instead of wanting to punch them in the face, I wanted to act nice back! Maybe I was just happy to be on a mini-vacation, or maybe there really is something different about New York, something that blackens our souls until we leave.

But the best part of St. Louis was my experience at the airport, on the way home. I left myself only 45 minutes to check in and go through security, since I just had carry-on luggage. The security line looked pretty long though, and I was, as always, worried about missing my flight. As much as I had enjoyed the two days, I was definitely ready to go home (I always feel ready to go home when my vacations are over. It's great, I have some sort of internal meter that resets itself a few hours before I leave to make sure I can happily say goodbye. If only everything else in my life worked as well.) Anyway, I got out my id and my boarding pass and got in line, and the TSA official directing us looked straight at me, so intensely that I got concerned. Do I look like a potential terrorist? Was she going to confiscate my new spices? She said to me, "Have you been here before? Do I know you?" Shaking a little, I said "No..." And she said, after a very anxiety-producing pause, "Were you on TV?...You were, you just looked so beautiful"

Good lord, I'm famous!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The airport security woman saw your TV episode? Are you kidding? It's like the entire world somehow converges on the Fashion Network every time that thing airs.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home