28 March 2007

In Honor of Passover


Oh cookies, how I yearn for thee.

This Passover has been going pretty smoothly. I went to my parents house for the seders, I saw my friend from home and her new baby, and my other friend from home and her baby, and my grandmother and uncles and our family friends. It was nice. We got ourselves invited to a wedding that's sure to be fun and I also learned a juicy family secret. We had 80 degree weather and slept with the windows open and ate LOTS of matzoh ball soup and green mold (the good kind).

Back in NYC, its snowing and I don't have any soup. I do, however, have quinoa, which I recently discovered is sort of kosher for passover. Kinda. Kosher enough for me at any rate, and I think it just might save me from becoming the monster I usually turn into around this point in the holiday.

So far, we've eaten two seders which included gefilte fish, hard boiled eggs, matzoh ball soup, turkey, brisket, potatoes, vegetable kugel (quite possibly the best food on earth), asparagus, chopped liver, broccoli, matzoh, charoset, and horseradish. And flourless chocolate cake, almond macaroons, apple cake, mondel bread, and kfp brownies (blech). Then we ate chicken salad, potato chips, olives, and fruit and then a meal of baked sweet potatoes and raw broccoli. And then we ate broiled chicken on baby spinach, quinoa salad, and more broccoli. And I had salad and matzoh ball soup for lunch. And also lots of matzoh with butter and cream cheese and jam.

I'm about out of ideas! I don't know what to make for dinner tonight. We'll make matzoh ball soup and more kugel for dinner Saturday night, and we're having a kosher for passover vegetarian Easter meal Sunday night (Ashkenazic too, which means my friend gets TONS of credit, this is her third year in a row doing this for us and she is amazing) and then we have Monday night to get through.

I'm not sure I can handle more meat, and egg salad, while tasty, will put my egg consumption way off the charts for this week, considering there were 5 in the kugel, 8 in the cake, 6 in the macaroons, god knows how many in the matzoh balls, and of course all those hard boiled eggs. You may argue that since these eggs were divided among a whole kugel and a whole cake and many macaroons, that I didn't really eat as many as it seems like. That would be a good argument only if I didn't eat nearly the entire kugel by myself, and most of the macaroons, and a large portion of the cake. Nice try though.

Anyway, if you have any dinner ideas I will be happy to consider them. Probably I'll reject them though, cause I'm mean like that when its the 4th day and its snowing and I don't have any readily accessible boursin cheese.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

What about matzah lasagna? Are you not eating rice? The ashkenaz thing is way harder, and frankly, I don't see the point.
I'm so glad you posted that, because even though I'm not keeping passover these days, the picture of the loaf of bread was just evil.
ALSO: I want more? family secrets? do tell... I have one for you too...

9:34 PM  
Blogger tina said...

You can try doing a risotto style quinoa dish - or just a quinoa bowl with a ton of veggies.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Emil said...

We had spicy quinoa and vegetable soup modeled after this soup we had in South America. It was good and different from the quinoa we had the night before, but I think I've had enough quinoa for a little bit now. I can't eat matzah lasagna anymore, Steph, I overdid it a few years ago and now the thought of it makes me queasy.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home