16 February 2007

Insomnia

I thought about this a few days ago when I woke up at 4 am and couldn't go back to sleep. Tonight its 3:30 and I decided what the hell, I might as well do it. It's insomnia blogging! I know the reason why I can't fall back asleep, but I'm not going to discuss it here. Instead, I'll talk about something else, ANYTHING else, to get myself back to sleep, maybe bore you readers to sleep, and we'll see if anything I write makes sense in the morning.

This keyboard is seeming awfully loud right now. I hope I'm not bothering Javert! I can hear rustling from the bedroom but unless I want to sit on the toilet, I can't really go anywhere else in the apt.

Let's talk about my experiences the other day in the Super Fresh in Timonium, MD. Javert, my mom, my grandmother and I were forced to go there when our trip to Wegmans was unfortunately rendered impossible due to traffic. After sitting in traffic for nearly an hour (and going all of 4 miles) we decided to get off the highway and find the nearest grocery store. It was 5 pm and I was making dinner for 7 people. We needed a green vegetable, carrots, chicken broth, eggs, and whole chickens.

First of all, this store was almost empty. I think there may have been 20 other people shopping there. That's not a lot. It's always kind of creepy to be the only people in the market at any given time.

Second, my grandmother is not so great at walking these days and so she requested a wheelchair from the shopping cart attendant. Instead he brought her one of those motorized scooter shopping carts. You may remember this device from a certain Seinfeld episode, or you may have used one yourself. My grandmother, however, had not used one before and got a little power happy driving it. Maxing out the speed at 1 mph, she told the 3 other customers we encountered to watch out. It was really funny watching her, I'm not sure why because she is fine to drive a car and was manuevering just fine...but maybe anyone riding these things is funny?

Third, the store did not have any plain whole chickens. Okay, they had Purdue oven stuffer roasters but neither my mother nor I will buy Purdue (yay mom!). The only other choice was already seasoned chickens (a product which I did not know existed) or frozen birds (unacceptable for a dinner in 2 hours). My mother asked the butcher if there were any chickens, and the butcher looked at us like we were out of our minds crazy. I mean, we were in front of a giant refrigerator case full of chicken and were asking her where the chicken is, so that pretty much makes sense.

SuperFresh did have Silly Putty, which I saw and commented on. I still remember fondly the time my family was in Rehoboth Beach at the toy store and my mom said to me and my brother, "Pick out a toy." We were like "What are you talking about and where is our real mother?," but she said "No, I'm in a good mood, pick something out." I choose blue silly putty and singlehandedly began the 5th grade silly putty fad at my school! Anyway, at Superfresh my mom said "Oh you want that?" and I was like "Of course," and moved on to the chicken. She said "Seriously, do you?" and I said YES and she went back for it and bought it for me! Too bad I don't have any way of starting a fad now. And I have to keep the putty locked up so it remains free of cat hair and also because my hands and wrists hurt like hell these days (I am sure typing lying down on the sofa is not helping this.)

We ended up having to go to a second supermarket (Hello Giant!) to get the chickens. This entailed me and my mom yelling at Javert, who was driving, and forcing him to make at least two illegal turns. He was not pleased. At least the Giant had chicken.

Dinner was great. I made butterflied roasted chicken with a mustard gravy, roasted potatoes, wilted chard, glazed carrots, and fresh challah (I made this a few days in advance). Unfortunately my plans for dessert did not work out--I forgot to get butter and flour, and my parents didn't have any, and I was NOT going to any more supermarkets. So on his way, my uncle bought a cake that turned out to be delicious and also had actual squares of Ghirardelli chocolate on it.

The dinner was for my dad's birthday. He's not so young anymore. After dinner Javert called his own dad, because guess what? Our dad's have the same birthday (day, not year.) They LOVE this and try to out-do each other with cards and phone calls.. It's adorable.

After dinner I curled up in front of the fire in my parents living room and fell asleep. Yes I did, and man do I wish I could fall asleep right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm overwhelmed. First, what is keeping you up at night?? I'm so curious. Second, the dinner sounds delicious. Third, I can't believe they have the same birthday! Isn't that weird??
I tried to call you at work today but forgot it was a holiday. Damn.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home