10 January 2007

Econo-Wash

Let me tell you how crazy I am.

A while ago Javert and I ran out of dishwasher detergent. We didn't like our old brand because it made spots on our glasses, so we did some research to find out the two top rated detergents. I went to the store and found both and compared them. One box was full of little pellets that you place in the dishwasher and said it would last 25 loads. The other box was the standard powdered detergent. They were the same price.

Using my 4th grade math skills I decided to buy the powder because it looked like we'd get more than 25 washes out of it. But I needed to be sure. Therefore I instituted the dishwashing detergent checkmark policy. Every time you fill the dishwasher with detergent, you need to make a tick mark on the back of the box. That way, when it's finally empty, we'd know how many loads we got out of it.

Javert has problems complying with my policy. He forgets to make the tick marks sometimes, or he'll purposely "forget" to put the powder in so that I'll have to do it. Recently he's gotten mean about it--he won't tell me whether or not he's made a tick mark, which drives me insane. Last night we stood in the kitchen for 10 minutes while he taunted me. Had he put the mark on? Maybe he did and maybe he didn't. I still don't know the truth.

So far we've gotten over 30 washes (maybe more due to non-compliance reasons) out of the powder box, and I think there's at least enough left for one more load. The thing is, I'm still curious about the pellets. Maybe they wash better. And I'm yearning to hold one of them--all plasticky and smooth. I bet they smell good too. And so I will be purchasing them when we run out of powder, even though they are less economical.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

laugh-out-loud hilarious, emil!
i can't wait for more

12:36 AM  
Blogger Caren said...

wait...but did it even work? maybe if you use more you would have brilliant glasses. oh, who am I to talk, I wash our dishes in cold water.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home