20 February 2007

The one where we go to NJ and get dishwashing detergent but not lightbulbs.

This weekend, Javert and I went to New Jersey to see some of his family. In keeping with our tradition, we went to the supermarket after our visit, to get a fuller taste of the suburbs and to buy some products (namely Turkey Hill Choco Mint Chip Ice Cream) that we cannot get at our local supermarket. Again we picked the Shop Rite in Bloomfield.

As I mentioned before, this store closes at 10:00 pm, even on the weekend. As usual, we arrived at 9:30. The whole time we shopped the store kept making announcements--"The Shop Rite will be closing in 20 minutes. Please make your selections and head to the front of the store to check out. The Shop Rite will be closing in 10 minutes..." etc. I spent the entire time in a rising state of anxiety, telling Javert to "HURRY UP! They're going to close. HURRY!" This frenzy caused me to forget to buy three-way lightbulbs, which were the one thing we actually needed. I don't know what they'd really do to a person who wasn't quite finished shopping at 10:00, but I also don't really want to find out, because I have a feeling it would be embarrassing.

Because I was rushed, I couldn't fully appreciate the Shop Rite's vast product selection. This store is SO BIG. They have 3 different kinds of Frosted Mini Wheats, and it took forever for us to find the "real" version (which we ended up not even buying). They carry Rachael Ray's magazine, which I almost purchased for my mom. Side story: My mom called me up the other day and asked "Who is Rachael Ray and why does every food product in my kitchen have a picture of her on it?" I momentarily wondered how I can consider myself close to a person who a. doesn't know who Rachael Ray is and b. doesn't know of my hatred for Rachael Ray. I then tried to explain who she is and that she must have had some kind of deal with Nabisco. And then my mom said "Well she's on all the food here and it's freaking me out." Which has to be the coolest thing she's ever said, ever, so much so that I had to stop talking to her and tell Javert immediately.

Back to Shop Rite. They also carried multiple sizes of the dishwashing detergent capsules I mentioned in a previous post. I received a request for an update on that post, so I'll give you the full story here: Shortly after writing that post I bought the capsules. They come in a zip-top bag and they smell FANTASTIC. All that smelly goodness is contained within the bag, so that each time you open it you're hit with that delicious odor. As for the pellets themselves, one side is all hard, packed with detergent powder, but the other side is this plastic-encased smooth blue gel that I want to rub all over my face and then bite down on. Sadly I have not yet done so, because I'm the type of person who follows the directions on the package, and these tell you to use dry hands when handling the capsules and to spend as little time as possible touching them.* There are also detailed instructions on what to do if you ingest the insides by accident. If not for these warnings, I'd be holding (caressing and/or nuzzling) one smooth pellet right now.

Clearly this was the best purchase of the night. We bought a 28 pack, which means we now have about 38 pellets at home, waiting to be fondled and smelled and this sounds like I have a real problem, doesn't it? [editor: yes. She does. It's one of many.] I'm not even sure if these things work any better than the powder did, but there is no way I'm switching back.


* Javert actually read these instructions out loud to me when we opened the package for the first time, to reinforce them and make sure I don't kill myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I love those pellets! I bought them at my old place here but my roommate wouldn't contribute because she said they were a luxury. I still like the Cascade powder though, because there is something so satisfying about pouring it in as I kick Ollie away to make sure he doesn't eat it.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the co-op we close the doors at 10pm and people have to be on line by 10:15. We always have one particular woman who comes in the doors at 9:45 and proceeds to shop for 45 minutes, ignoring the announcements, and then extensively discuss every single product she intends to buy with the person who is checking her out.

This woman is a crazy person. Like, actually crazy. But the point generally is that if you stay in a supermarket late, they don't do anything to you per se (they don't want to have to re-shelve all the stuff in your cart), but they will probably all stand around giving you dirty looks because they're waiting to clean the store and get the hell out. This doesn't bother our crazy lady (if she even notices), but I think it would bother you.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home