19 December 2005

Do I Know You?

I have been to Bed, Bath, and Beyond way more times than a person should in one week. I was there last Saturday to buy sheets and curtains, last Sunday to exchange one of said curtains since it was defective, on Tuesday to buy a humidifier, and on Saturday to return both curtains since they were two inches different in length (and neither was the 84 inches they each claimed to be). And I have to go back again to return the hooks for the defective curtains, since I didn't have them with me last time.

On our way to Bed, Bath, and Beyond this past Saturday, Javert and I stopped at Fairway Cafe, since we wanted to more fully participate in Upper West Side Living. We sat down and after our waitress took our orders for coffee, she said, "Uh, do you guys by any chance live on Our Street?" We were like "yeah..." and she said "I live in number Our Building Number." She lives two floors down from us. How weird is that? Javert now says he remembers her from a building party this fall, but I didn't recognize her. She's extremely pretty and I definitely think I would have remembered that someone that attractive lives 20 feet away.

Later on during our coffee in Fairway Cafe, we saw Ed Koch, the former mayor. We'd seen him on Thursday night on TV, standing behind Reptile Bloomberg during TRANSIT STRIKE WATCH 2005 (stay tuned for up-to-date info! Don't change the channel! PLEASE!) Koch looks much older in person.

Obviously I didn't recognize him in the cafe, since I NEVER recognize famous people. Lucky for me there were a few normal people there who managed to both notice Koch and then talk about it at a reasonable volume level loud enough for Javert (but not me) to hear, and then Javert told me.

A few minutes later my mother called from the mall, since we've been in nearly constant communication regarding what to buy my grandmother whose birthday is Saturday and who owns everything there is to own, ever. After discussing and rejecting the 499th birthday present idea my mom came up with, I couldn't resist telling her that Koch was sitting a few tables away. She asked "Is he with the former Miss America star?" (what is she talking about?) and I said "No, he seems to be with a family," at which point Javert forced me to leave the cafe.

These incidents raise interesting issues, like how do you relate to your server in a restaurant/neighbor if she also happens to live in your building/be your waitress? Or how come we get a little crazy when we see famous people? Or what exactly is the difference between what/who we see on tv and what/who we see in person? And most importantly, will I recognize the next famous person/neighbor I see?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home