06 December 2005

Good Night, Sleep Tight.....

After sleeping on his college futon for way too long, Javert and I finally bought a bed. We'd been talking about it for months, we'd gone mattress shopping at least twice, and on Saturday we finally found The Mattress. Because he had a delusion that we'd be able to negotiate the price based on comparison shopping, Javert did not agree to order The Mattress immediately. But of course we couldn't comparison shop, because each mattress store has its own brand names and there's no way to tell what compares to what.

Almost spontaneously, we ordered The Mattress yesterday morning and set delivery for a 6pm to 10pm window last night. We rushed home from work, rearranged the entire apartment to accomodate a huge futon in the living room, vacuumed, cleaned, and waited for delivery. They came at around 8, and carried the big boxspring up the stairs. That's when we noticed the big rip in the bottom of the boxspring. Now I'm pretty much a perfectionist, but because a boxspring is basically a box with fabric around it, and because we REALLY need a new mattress, I was willing to let it slide. I wasn't about to let slide the HUGE HOLE in the bottom of The Mattress, however. The delivery people swore the hole occurred at the warehouse (the result of some sort of forklift accident) and actually said "That mattress is no good" and called their manager for us. They will remove the damaged bed and deliver our new, hopefully hole-less mattress during the same time slot on Wednesday.

Now I need to talk about the new bed, which is HUGE. Seriously, its almost 3 feet high when placed on the bedframe. I am only a little over 5 feet tall. Paxwell was scared to jump on the bed and had to make several false starts before succeeding. Plus, it's basically about half the size of the bedroom. I started feeling like we'd made a mistake because it looked so huge....but then I laid down for a minute. Who cares what a bed looks like when its this comfortable?

After Javert convinced me that the floor is more supportive than 3 metal sticks, we removed the frame and now it's only 2 feet tall and looks more normal. But that pillow-top adds so much height that I wonder how we're going to find sheets that fit. We're using our "guest" sheets that I bought at the corner store for $3 each, and by morning they were already coming off. Also, my back hurts a little bit, but I'm hoping it's just surprised at the quality of the mattress and is coming back into shape, sort of like how braces hurt for the first few days because they are realligning your teeth.

Luckily, if we decide we don't like the mattress, we have two weeks (or more? I have to find out) to exchange it for free. But now I'm wondering what they do with all the rejected mattresses they must get back. I mean, ours has a hole and can't be used. At least I hope no one would accept it like that. But what about the 2 week guarrantee (or whatever it is)? Do these mattresses go back to the warehouse and then wind up in other people's bedrooms? Should I start worrying now about the bedbug epidemic currently plaguing New York?

Of course I should!

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I can't believe you guys finally got a bed and then this happened. What a bummer!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Emil said...

Its okay, they replaced it and its pretty much deadly. Part of why I was late to work today was the subway's fault. The other part--totally the bed. And the best thing--shopping for sheets this weekend! Yay!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

yes! are you going to get the pure beech ones??

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home